Scene 2 : from Yotsuya to Komagome


"Now and then she would look back and say something. Sometimes it would be a remark I might have responded to, and sometimes it would be something to which I had no reply. Other times, I simply couldn't hear what she was saying. She didn't seem to care one way or another. Once she had finished saying whatever she wanted to say, she'd face front again and keep on walking. Oh, well, I told myself, it was a nice day for a stroll." (Murakami 21)

Toru and Naoko meet coincidentally on the train, each on their way to different destinations. Naoko suggests they get off the train, and they walk aimlessly together from Yotsuya to Komagome. The trip takes up their entire afternoon, which they spend together in relative silence, Toru walking not with Naoko but a small distance behind her the entire way.



Google Tour Builder :

The purpose of their walk was supposed to be to catch up since they hadn't seen each other in almost a year. However, just as in the past when Kizuki left them together in a room, they are unable to hold a conversation. Naoko makes an effort, but Toru doesn't seem to care about anything she has to say.

"'Oh, I'm sorry, I've been dragging you around all day.'
'Still, I'm glad we had a chance to talk. We've never done that before, just the two of us,' I said, trying without success to recall what we had talked about." (Murakami 21)


0 comments: